Popular Posts

2015/03/11

MONTESSORI ZOOLOGY RIDDLES : Mammals



Lion

I am a large and powerful mammal 
of the cat family, found in Africa and 
southwest Asia. I have tawny skin 
and the males of my family have 
beautiful manes. I range over plains, 
deserts or hilly country, sleeping by day
 and hunting by night. I am the symbol 
of Great Britain, and have been 
called the king of the jungle.

Who am I? 



Whale

Many believe that I am a fish but I 
am actually a mammal. in fact, I am the
 largest animal in the world, weighing as 
much as 150 tons. I have a very large
 mouth and my nostrils are on the top of 
my head. Causing my breath to form
 a spout of steam in the air.


Who am I? 


Rabbit

I am a rodent. My incisors are made to
 gnaw; otherwise they would become very 
long. As the tops of my incisors are worn 
away, they grow from the bottom. I am born
 helpless and blind. When my eyes open 
they are at the sides of my head, enabling
 me to see two directions at one time. 
My fur is beautiful and soft.

Who am I? 



Tiger

I am a large, graceful, brightly colored
 jungle cat. My striped and shiny coat 
serves well as a camouflage. I hunt by
 night and have a very loud roar. I like 
to stalk in the jungles of Asia.

Who am I? 



Dugong

I am a large mammal who lives in the water 
along the coast of Florida. I eat water plants,
 sea grasses and algae. Do you know the legend
 of the mermaids whose singing caused sailors 
to shipwreck? Perhaps the ancients were
 referring to me because the upper part of my
 body looks almost like your's and the 
lower part looks like a fish.

Who am I? 


Mole

I choose to live in the dark because
 I do not like the light. I am not blind
 but my eyes are very small. I live 
underground in burrows with long 
tunnels which I dig out with my strong,
 curved , front feet. I feed on insects
 that I find in the ground.

Who am I? 



Polar Bear

Because of my white camouflage, 
hunt in broad daylight. With my powerful 
arms and sharp claws, I capture fish, seals, 
and birds and can even kill walrus. My body
 is about ten feet long with thick white fur.
 Females of my species spend their
 winters in a den and protect the cubs
 from the males in the spring.

Who am I? 



Platypus

I am unusual because I resemble both 
mammals and birds: mammals, because 
I have fur like a beaver and give milk to my 
young. Yet I have a wide bill and webbed 
feet like a duck. Underwater I cannot hear 
or see, but I feel for food using the sensitive
 skin of my bill. I live in and near fresh waters
 in southeast Australia and Tasmania.

Who am I? 


Deer Mouse

If you ever find a pile of seeds 
in a drawer of a warm cabin, chances 
are I am spending the winter with you.
 In the summer I spend my life outdoors
 gathering food in fields and prairies. My 
small body is furry and brown with
 a white belly and a long tail.

Who am I? 



Zebra

I am very similar to a horse and my coat
 is beautifully striped. I live in Africa in the
 grasslands and am a very fast runner. 
My feet have hooves, which are 
like strong, enormous nails.

Who am I? 



Anteater

I am a small animal that lives in the warm
 climates of Central and South America. 
I have a mouth without teeth. I find ants 
and other bugs by scratching at their
 homes with my long claws. When they
 come out I catch them with my long, 
sticky tongue and eat them.

Who am I? 



Pronghorn

With a top of speed of seventy miles 
per hour, I am the fastest animal in 
North America. I can see for great 
distances across the plains, and at the
 first sight of danger, the long white hair 
on my rump flashes a signal to others in 
the herd. I have slender legs, and black,
 backward-curving horns a foot or more long.

Who am I? 



Horse

I have four legs and am very useful to man. 
Once I provided the fastest and surest way 
of traveling. I am still used to pull heavy loads
 and people like to ride me. my prehistoric 
ancestors were only 10-20 inches high,
 the size of a dog, and were called eohippus.

Who am I? 



Prairie Dog

When I live together with my species 
our home is called a "town". We sit on 
dirt mounds barking, whistling, and
 chirping. Relatives groom each other 
and have underground homes that are
 linked by tunnels. Our chunky brown 
bodies have a small black tail.

Who am I? 



Chimpanzee

I live in the trees of the jungle, but 
you have probably seen me in the zoo, 
swinging on bars with my long arms and
 tail. I am a very intelligent mammal and
 a distant relative of you. My body is 
covered with coarse brown hair but my
 hands and feet look very much like yours.

Who am I? 



Bat

I am the only mammal that can fly.
 I spend most of my day hanging upside 
down from a tree branch or trunk. I am
 blind, so at night I search for flying insects 
using radar to hunt. My front limbs have
 long fingers that support a thin skin to form
 wings. I eat hundreds of mosquitoes every
 day so build me a house to live in your yard.

Who am I? 


Kangaroo

In the front of my body, I have a special 
pocket called a pouch, in which I carry
 my young. My hind legs are strong and
 I move by jumping and leaping. I can 
even sit back on my hind legs and tail.

Who am I? 



Beaver

Shy but active at night, I am sometimes 
difficult to see in the daytime. The dams
 I make from sticks, saplings, tree trunks, 
and mud, however , are easily found in 
ponds, marshes, and streams. My flat 
paddle-shaped tail and webbed hind feet
 help me to swim. Trappers used to catch 
me for my pelt many years ago.

Who am I? 


Elephant

I am a large plant-eating mammal who
 lives in Asia or Africa. My skin is tough, 
thick and almost hairless. I feed by using
 a long trunk to grasp, pull and bring grasses
 and leaves to my mouth. Long curved tusks
 and big fan ears make me easy to recognize.

Who am I? 


   Pinegreenwoods Montessori 
  Montessori Riddles