Popular Posts

2015/03/12

MONTESSORI ZOOLOGY RIDDLES : Insects and Arachnids




Ladybug

 I am a rounded insect and my colors 
are bright red and black. While I am 
very innocent looking, I am quite a
 predator. gardeners love me because 
I am carnivorous and prey on harmful 
insects. I am very active in the summer 
but hibernate in large groups in the winter.

Who am I? 



Cockroach

 I have straight wings and a flat, yellowish
 brown or black body. My legs are slender
 and my feelers are long. I am special 
because I was possibly the first insect.
 I've been around for millions of years. In
 the daytime I hide and at night I come out in 
search of food. i live in warm damp places.

Who am I? 



Dragonfly

 I patrol my territory, usually a pond, by
zooming back and forth with my four wings.
My wings are transparent, and I keep them
straight out even at rest. I am an aerial
hunter with keen eyesight and front
legs for grabbing mosquitoes in mid-air.

Who am I? 



 Crane Fly

 I am a large fly who likes to hover
around lights at night. Many people think
I look like a giant mosquito but I am
really quite harmless. My long legs
break off easily which comes in handy
if I get caught in a spider's web.

Who am I? 



Wooly Bear Caterpillar

 In the fall you may find me hurrying 
along the ground searching for a safe 
place to spend the winter. If you touch 
my bristle body I will curl up tight to protect 
myself. My body is mostly a reddish-brown 
with a black head and end. If you can pick 
me up I "ll slowly walk around your hand.

Who am I? 



   June Beetle

  I get my name from the month
when I am most active. I am a
rather clumsy flying insect and you
can often hear me slamming into
window screens, banging into lights,
bouncing off the porch wall, and
clattering across the floor. My body
is sturdy and colored a shiny brown.

Who am I? 



Butterfly

 The first part of my life is spent as a 
caterpillar with simple eyes and chewing
 jaws. Then I form a sac around me called
 a chrysalis where I slowly turn into my adult 
form. When the chrysalis splits, I come out 
looking very different. You can find me 
fluttering with my new wings in fields 
on most any sunny day.

Who am I? 



Fly

 I am born a maggot. Later on metamorphosis 
changes me into an insect with two transparent 
wings. Many find me unpleasant because I
 transmit diseases. however, few people realize
 my importance. by eating decaying things
 I clean up everyone else's garbage.

Who am I? 



Maybug

 For an insect, my life is very complicated.
 For three years I've live underground in the 
form of a little worm eating the roots of plants. 
Then I build a little case and sleep in it for 
a while. I emerge the second time with
 wings. When I fly, I make a loud 
buzzing sound like a bumblebee.

Who am I? 



   Froghopper

 Some people call me a spittlebug
because I make my home in a
frothy white nest. I look like a tiny 
frog and if you disturb me I'll hop
away. My eggs are deposited on field
grass and hatch in the spring when
I can feed on sweet plant juices.

Who am I? 



  Grasshopper

  You can often hear me in the fields
on a warm summer afternoon, or see
me hopping among the tall grass with
my long jointed back limbs. I have
strong jaws and can cause a lot of
damage to crops if together in a
swarm. I have four wings close to
my body and a yellow-green color.

Who am I? 



 Carpenter Ant

  The queen of my species likes to find
 a colony in dead logs or old buildings. 
Then it's up to the workers to make 
tunnels with our strong jaws, leaving 
small piles of sawdust. Our colonies can 
grow to thousands and we can destroy
 whole buildings. we get our name
 from the work we do with wood.

Who am I? 



 Silverfish

  I am a slick and slippery little creature. 
I am one of the only insects that have 
no wings. I usually hide in the dark where
 it is cool and damp. Watch out! I might live 
in your house. I love to eat paste, so you 
can blame me if your books fall apart
 or if your wallpaper falls down.

Who am I? 



 Honey Bee

  I may only be a half-inch long but humans
 depend on me for survival. I have been 
pollinating your crops for more than 4,000
 years, so if anything happened to me, 
hundreds of fruits and vegetables 
would quickly disappear. I also
 produce delicious honey.

Who am I? 


Tarantula Hawk

  Despite my name I am not a bird. 
I am small but fierce warrior wasp who
 hunts for much larger Tarantula spiders. 
When I find them I aim for a spot on the 
spiders stomach to sting and paralyze
 it. The battle between us can take 
a long time but I usually win.

Who am I? 



 Black Widow Spider

  I am a well-known spider, who get its 
name by what I do to my mate. I eat him! 
This may seem cruel to you, but actually 
most spiders do it. The male is useless 
after mating, so the best that he can do 
for his offspring is to give a good meal 
to their mother. My round stomach 
has a bright  red spot.

Who am I? 


Wolf Spider

  I have long hairy legs and small eyes.
 I don't live in a web like most of my species, 
so I have to carry my eggs around with me
 in a ball of fine silk. I am a devoted mother 
and my young ride on my back for weeks
 after they hatch. But when the time comes
 to go they better leave fast. I may forget
 who they are and eat them.

Who am I? 


   Pinegreenwoods Montessori 
  Montessori Riddles